Sweet juicy watermelon paired with Gorgonzola cheese, fresh mint, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple and refreshing Honey Citrus Dressing will be the perfect side dish for your Fourth of July Celebration!
Watermelon is one on my favorite fruits to eat in the summer, and I certainly couldn’t imagine not eating it on the Fourth of July. Watermelon and Independence Day just go together.
This salad is so beautiful! The red, white, and blue colors will make it the perfect festive center piece for your table!
I love the combination of the fruits and the touch of fresh mint, but the gorgonzola cheesed added to this really sends it over the top. I can’t say enough about the Gorgonzola cheese. This cheese compliments the melody of fruits so well and adds a nice savory flavor. If you are not familiar with Gorgonzola, it’s much like blue cheese with a milder sweeter taste. It’s one of my favorite cheeses to eat with fruit and to add to a salad. When you bite into it you will know what I mean about the sweet and savory combination. The sweet and tangy honey citrus dressing is totally amazing as it brings all the flavors together. Your guest will be impressed!
This salad is great to take to a potluck too. Just put the dressing in a separate container and drizzle it on right before serving. Everyone enjoys fresh fruit in the summertime. It’s both cool and refreshing.
I cut the watermelon into small chunks, and I used a star cookie cutter to make the pineapple star.
You can chop the left over pineapple into small bites and add it to the salad. Strawberries can be substituted for the raspberries as well.
To make the Honey Citrus Dressing, combine orange juice, fresh lemon and lime juice, honey, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Cook while stirring constantly until the dressing thickens and is a clear. Let the dressing cool completely. The dressing can be made up two or three days ahead and kept in the refrigerator. Drizzle the dressing over the watermelon salad just before serving.
This dressing is so delicious. It’s also great to serve over a tossed green salad or drizzle it over chicken salad.
Enjoy and Happy Fourth of July!Print
For the salad:
- 1 (5 pound) watermelon, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 fresh pineapple, cut into bite size pieces (reserving 4 slices to cut out stars)
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese
- 6 whole mint sprigs
For the dressing:
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup lemon juice (the juice of 3 to 4 lemons)
- ½ cup lime juice (the juice of 3 to 4 limes)
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, plus 2 teaspoons
- Combine watermelon, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, and Gorgonzola in a large serving bowl or platter. (to make pineapple stars, cut 1-inch rounds of peeled pineapple. Place star cookie cutter in center and press down firmly until pineapple is cut all the way through. Cut up remaining pineapple and add to salad.
- Drizzle Honey-Citrus Dressing over salad just before serving. Sprinkle fresh mint leaves over salad.
Do ahead tip: Honey-Citrus Dressing can be made 2 to 3 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator.