This is a keeper recipe for banana bread that you will thoroughly enjoy. It’s super moist and so delicious! It will be the best banana bread that you have ever had. That’s a promise.
Who doesn’t love a delicious moist slice of banana bread? Over the years I have eaten my share of banana bread, but not all banana bread recipes are good. That’s plain and simple. Some are way too dry and some are not sweet enough or the bananas are overly ripe and give the bread a bad taste.
Today I’m going to share my favorite recipe and tips for making the best banana bread ever.
This is one of my son, Zach’s, favorite things that he likes for me to bake for him. This banana bread has created a lot of happiness in my house. Plus, banana bread smells heavenly while it’s cooking!
This recipe is made with simple ingredients and it’s amazing how easy it is to make.
Aww, this recipe makes a delicious nice crusty crust! Yum!
Ingredients that you will need to make the Best Banana Bread (Be sure to see the full printable recipe below this post.)
- vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
How to make this delicious banana bread:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Flour and grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a stand-up electric mixer using a whisk attachment beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, stir together the four, baking powder and salt. Add the egg mixture (wet ingredients) and stir using a wooden spoon until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher, fork or an electric mixer. Mash until the bananas are smooth and most of the lumps are out.
- Add the mashed bananas to the four mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined. Pour banana batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated for 60 to 65 minutes.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Store bread in an airtight container or wrap in plastic or foil. I like to wrap it in plastic then in a layer of foil to keep it extra moist and fresh.
What you can add to this banana bread recipe:
- Chopped pecans
- Chopped walnuts
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Chocolate chips
My son likes his banana bread plain and my daughter likes chocolate chips in her banana bread and I love it anyway, plain with nuts or chocolate chips, it’s all good!
Tips for making the perfect banana bread:
- Be sure to sift the flour before measuring.
- Check the date on your baking powder. If it’s expired, your banana bread will not rise. I’ve had that happen to me. I’ve learned the hard way so I always check the expiration dates on everything before mixing.
- Beat the eggs well. This will also help the bread to rise and make a nice crusty crust.
- After you have beaten the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla together, use a wooden spoon to incorporate the rest of the ingredients to prevent over-mixing.
- Don’t use overly ripe bananas. I like mine medium ripe with just a few dark spots. Banana skins that are black will make the bread taste fermented.
Can you make banana bread muffins with this recipe?
Absolutely! This recipe makes delicious muffins and you can also make mini banana loaves too. I like to make mini loaves for Christmas gifts.
- To make regular-size banana muffins, fill well-greased muffin tins or use a paper cupcake liner almost to the top. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees once you place the muffin pan in the oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you are baking in mini loaf pans, bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes. Oven temperatures vary so check on the loaves after 20 minutes.
Oh by the way, a slice of banana bread toasted in the oven and smothered with butter is divine! One of my favorite breakfast treats with my morning coffee!
Thank you for stopping by!
Check out these delicious bread recipes too!
If you make this recipe, be sure to use hashtag #deliciouslysouthern. Please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you! And don’t forget to subscribe to this blog so you won’t miss a thing. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
This is a keeper recipe for banana bread. It’s super moist and so delicious! It will be the best banana bread that you have ever had. That’s a promise.
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white granulated sugar (Note: If you prefer your banana not as sweet, reduce the sugar to ¾ cup)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted and then measured)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium ripe bananas well mashed. Note: make sure that bananas are not overly ripe. The skins should NOT be totally black. Just a few dark spots will be perfect.
(Optional) If you like chopped pecans, walnuts, or chocolate chips you can add them to the batter. I would suggest ¾ cup.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Using a stand up electric mixer or a hand mixer, beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla extract and beat well.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour together with the baking powder and salt. Add wet ingredients (egg mixture) and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. (Note: Don’t use the electric mixture to mix to batter once you add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients (flour mixture).
- Next in a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher or a fork. Mash until smooth and not lumpy. A few banana lumps are ok. With a large wooden spoon, stir the mashed bananas into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. If you are adding chopped nuts or chocolate chips, stir them in now.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I would check on it after 1 hour. Mine usually takes about 65 minutes. Oven temperatures vary.
- Cool for 30 to 40 minutes before removing from the pan. Enjoy! This banana bread is super moist and so delicious!!
- Banana bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for two days or 4 days in the refrigerator.
Do Ahead/Freeze Tip: To freeze banana bread, let it cool completely and wrap it in plastic wrap and foil and then place the loaf in a large freezer ziplock bag. It will freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator to serve.
Recipe Notes: You can also add chocolate chips to this recipe and of course, you can add nuts too. I would suggest cutting the sugar amount down to ¾ cup because the chocolate chips are sweet. You can also add a dash of cinnamon as well. My son prefers banana bread without nuts or chocolate chips whereas my daughter loves chocolate chips in banana bread. Regardless this is a keeper recipe for banana bread that you will thoroughly enjoy!