Do you like your hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and marshmallows?
On a cold wintery day, I’m a girl who likes to curl up on the couch with a soft warm blanket and a cup of “steamy” hot chocolate topped with a mountain of whipped cream and marshmallows!
For those cold snowy winter days, there is nothing more comforting that a warm cup of hot chocolate. You just can’t beat it. It warms the heart and soul.
This is a good ole fashioned recipe. It’s the real deal. No powdered mix from a box here! If you have never had hot chocolate made from scratch, you are in for a real treat!
It’s made with just 3 simple ingredients unsweetened cocoa, sugar and milk. In fact, if you are craving some, you probably have everything on hand to make you a cup now.
I have wonderful childhood memories of going to my Grandma’s house and having a cup of her delicious hot chocolate. We would sit on her couch, sip on our cocoa (that’s what she called it, “hot cocoa”) and she would tell me stories about the good old days. Grandma made the best hot chocolate. She never wrote her recipe down, but I remember this tasting exacting like hers did.
Here are my tips to making the perfect cup of Hot Chocolate!
- First, mix the cocoa and sugar together. It’s best to sift the cocoa to get all the lumps out. You want a smooth cup.
- Next whisk in 6 tablespoons of water. Water helps to blend the cocoa and sugar.
- Slowly, whisk the milk in the chocolate mixture. Heat until it comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Ladle the hot chocolate into mugs. It’s quick and easy.
- Cocoa-If you perfect a dark chocolate taste, use a dark chocolate cocoa.
- Sugar-You can adjust the sugar amount. This makes a real sweet cup. You can always use less sugar or more to taste.
- Milk-I use whole milk when making hot chocolate. If you want an extra, extra, rich cocoa try using half-n-half or heavy cream.
Toppings-Top it with freshly whipped cream, marshmallows, cocoa powder, chocolate curls, chocolate syrup, sprinkles. Just have fun and enjoy!
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 cups of whole milk or half-n-half
- Sweetened whipped cream and miniature marshmallows
- Mix the cocoa, sugar, and water in a medium size saucepan. Cook on low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add milk and stir. Cook on medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream and miniature marshmallows. Garnish with sifted cocoa and chocolate curls, if desired.