This is my go to dish when I’m craving something yummy, comforting, and delicious or if I’m looking for something that will surely please a crowd. This recipe never fails to do the job.
What is there not to love about chunks of tender chicken in a rich creamy sauce topped with buttered Ritz crumbs?
Anything topped with buttery crackers is okay with me!
It’s perfect to make when company is coming, take to church suppers or to a pot luck party. It’s Southern comfort at its best. I can’t possibly count the times that I have made this casserole. It’s always a big hit. I just know you and your family will love it too!
It’s super easy to make as well. You probably have most or all the ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry. You can also use any leftover chicken or turkey. This casserole is great for weeknight meals. If you need to get dinner on the table in a hurry, a rotisserie chicken will work just fine.
This recipe has endless possibilities. The base ingredients for the cream sauce are so simple-cream of chicken soup and sour cream. That’s it! It’s that simple! The poppy seeds are optional, but I think it gives the casserole an elegant look. For a crunchy texture and to add flavor, I put chopped water chestnuts in the cream mixture. I love water chestnuts. It optional, but I think if you try it you will love it too. If you are totally not a fan of water chestnuts, try adding slivered almonds. Slivered almonds are delicious too.
An easy way to crush crackers!
- 3 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken breast meat (about 4 cooked chicken breast)
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 2.5-3quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the soup and the sour cream until well blended. Fold in the shredded chicken, water chestnuts and poppy seeds.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes without topping.
- While casserole is in the oven, mix Ritz crackers and melted butter together.
- Remove casserole from over and sprinkle buttery crackers over the top of chicken casserole. Return to oven and continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes or until casserole is hot and bubbly.
Do ahead tip/Freeze: This casserole can be made 2 days up ahead and kept in refrigerator. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Cooked casserole freezes well for up to 2 months. Thawed in refrigerator over night.