This Cheesy Mexican Cornbread is absolutely delicious! It’s super moist, light, hearty, cheesy and it has just enough jalapeño heat to give it a nice spicy kick!
My family loves this cornbread and there isn’t a thing that I would change about the recipe. It’s colorful, full of flavor and it has delicious ingredients including cream corn, fresh bell pepper, jalapeños, freshly grated cheese, and diced pimentos. It’s almost a meal in one!
Here are some of my favorite dishes to enjoy this Cheesy Mexican Cornbread with:
Besides smothering it with lots of butter and devouring it as soon as it comes out of the oven! Don’t laugh, it has happened before! Sometimes the cornbread doesn’t even make it to the table.
- Beans of any kind, pintos, white northern beans, blacked peas, etc.
- Collard greens or turnip greens
It’s a yummy side to any meal!
How to make Cheesy Mexican Cornbread (Full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
1. First, get all your ingredients together. This is what you’ll need:
- Cooking oil
- Sour cream
- Yellow self-rising cornmeal
- Yellow cream-style corn
- Fresh jalapeño pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Diced pimentos
- Green bell pepper
- Butter, of course
2. Combine the eggs, oil, sour cream, cornmeal, and corn in a mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is moistened. Note: be sure to use self-rising cornmeal.
3. Next, add jalapeños, cheese, pimentos, and green bell pepper. Mix all the ingredients together.
4. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. That’s it! It’s really so easy to make.
5. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle cheese on top. And of course, extra butter is always a good idea! Enjoy!
This Cheesy Mexican Cornbread is absolutely delicious! It’s super moist, light, hearty, cheesy and it has just enough jalapeño heat to give it a nice little kick. There isn’t a thing that I would change about this recipe.
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup cooking oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups yellow self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup yellow cream style corn
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh jalapeño peppers (about 2 medium size peppers, seeded and then chopped) You can add more peppers if you like it real hot.
- 1 ¼ cups freshly grated sharp Cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping after cornbread is done
- 1 (4-ounce) jar of diced pimentos
- 2 tablespoons diced green bell peppers
- Extra shredded cheese to sprinkle on top, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 square baking pan. Or if you like your bread thinner, use a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. You may also bake it in a 10-inch round iron skillet. NOTE: Cooking times may vary with each baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, oil, sour cream, cornmeal, and corn. Gently stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Add jalapeño peppers, cheese, pimentos, and green pepper. Mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. NOTE: Oven temperatures may vary slightly. Be careful not to overcook.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle extra cheese on top while cornbread is still warm. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes/Freeze Tips: Store any leftover bread in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven. Cover with foil if reheat in the oven so the cornbread doesn’t dry out. Cooked cornbread will freeze for up to two months. Let it thaw at room temperature and heat to serve.