This cornbread is tender and moist on the inside with a golden brown crispy-crunchy crust! It’s an essential component of a southern meal.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups white self-rising cornmeal mix
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- Additional cornmeal to sprinkle on the bottom of the iron skillet. (About 2 tablespoons)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. If baking in a 10-inch round iron skillet, pour ¼ cup vegetable oil into the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and heat while you are mixing up the batter. (Note: a hot iron skillet makes a golden brown crispy crust.) If you are baking in muffin pans, grease well with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine cornmeal mix, sugar, vegetable oil, egg, and buttermilk. Mix just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cornmeal on the bottom of the hot skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. It should sizzle. Return to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The top should be golden brown.
- For a crispy crust, invert cornbread immediately onto a plate. Serve hot with butter.