This fabulous frozen dessert is a cool, refreshing treat with a delicious pistachio flavor that’s topped with whipped cream, chopped pistachio nuts and chocolate-covered toffee candy bars!
- 2 cups crushed round buttery crackers, such as Ritz’s
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- ¾ cup cold milk, whole milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream or (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping (thawed if using frozen whipped topping) or the real cream in the can works too
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, only if using heavy whipping cream
- 1 (12-ounce) bag miniature milk chocolate-covered English toffee bars, (Heath Bars), chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk and pudding for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set.
- Fold in softened ice cream. Stir until pudding mixture is completely incorporated. Pour over cooled crust. Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- After ice cream mixture has firmed up, spread with whipped cream or serve each individual slice with a generous dollop of whipped cream and top with chopped pistachio nuts and candy pieces.
- To make the fresh whipped cream, pour 2 cups of the heavy whipping cream into chilled mixing bowl (NOTE: a cold chilled bowl and mixing beaters helps make the whipping cream whip up faster.) Beat on high speed until cream starts to thicken. While beating, slowly add confectioners’ sugar and continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form and cream is thick. (NOTE: be careful not to over beat or cream will go flat.)
Do ahead/Freeze Tip: This dessert will freeze up to 2 months.