This Cinnamon Roll Cherry Coffee Cake is what coffee cake dreams are made of-A sweet, tart cherry pie filling nestled in layers of flaky buttermilk biscuits rolled in cinnamon and butter and drizzled with a yummy cream cheese glaze that brings it all together. Yum!
For the coffee cake
- 1 (21- ounce) can of cherry pie filling
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 (16-ounce) cans of flaky buttermilk biscuits
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) butter, melted
For the glaze
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of whole milk
- Garnish with lightly toasted sliced almonds, if desired. (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan.
- Spoon cherry pie filling into the bottom of the greased pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Separate the biscuits and flatten each biscuit to about ¼-inch. Dip in the melted butter and dredge in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Place flattened sugar-coated biscuits over the cherry pie filling. (Arrange in layers ) Continue this process until all the biscuits are layered in the pan.
- Pour any leftover butter over the layers of biscuits and sprinkle leftover (if you have any) over the biscuits as well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until done. Be careful not to overbake. NOTE: If your biscuits get too brown, tent the pan with foil.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate. Drizzle with the cream cheese glaze and sprinkle with lightly toasted almonds. Enjoy!
- To make the glaze: In a medium size mixing bowl, cream soften cream cheese and soften butter together. Slowly add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Beat until smooth. You may need to add more milk. It should be a pourable consistency for drizzling over the coffee cake.
Do ahead/freeze tip: This cake can be made up three days ahead. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You may also freeze it too for up to two months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Heat in the microwave to serve.