- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 (15-ounce) cans pork and beans (Van Camps) or **2 (28-ounce) cans Bush’s original bake beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 slices of uncooked bacon, cut in half
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef. As the beef begins brown, add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet. Cook until meat is totally brown and onions and peppers are transparent. Drain the grease off the ground beef.
- In a large bowl, combine the pork and beans, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Stir in the ground beef, onion, peppers into the bean mixture.
- Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Place uncooked bacon strips on top of beans. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until bacon is done and baked beans are hot and bubbly. If cooking in a crockpot, pour cooked ground beef mixture and bean mixture into a crockpot and place uncooked bacon strips on top. Cook on low for 2 ½ hours to 3 hours stirring every 30 minutes.
**Recipe Note: If using Bush’s Baked Beans, you might want to reduce the brown sugar to ½ cup.
Also if you prefer a vegetarian style bake beans, just omit the ground beef and bacon. This is an awesome recipe with or without the meat.